A Day in the Mind of Chris Burzlaff

The new and improved daily adventures and incomprehensible ramblings of my life.

Monday, February 02, 2004

"And I know what I have to do now. I've got to keep breathing, because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?" -- Cast Away

What is it about the sound of water that makes it so appealing? Think of the ocean, the rain, even sprinklers, they all bring up vived memories and all produce wonderful sounds. I've discovered that one of my favorite of all sounds is that of the ocean; waves crashing down upon the shore, then recoiling and preparing for another round. It's so wonderful to lie at the beach and close your eyes and listen to the waves, almost becoming like them, knowing that life is like the ocean: constantly shaping the shores of the world and constantly renewing itself. It's such a peaceful sound, that's so soothing and pure. Whenever I had trouble falling asleep as a child, I would think of the ocean, and regulate my breathing to imitate its sound. It never failed to ease my mind and put me to sleep. It's the sound of nature taking its course; water has crashed upon our shores for millions of years, rolling in and out for ages, and still does today as it did then. My most recent memory of the beach was when I went late at night. It reminded me of that scene in "Contact" when Jodie Foster is in the alien world and it all seemed like a fascinating dream. It was like that: the sea was like black obsidion and the stars were everywhere shining in their splendor, and all was right in the world. I could have stayed there for hours just admiring the beauty and listening to the constant ebbing and flowing. No matter where you are in the world, the ocean sounds the same, and that's very comforting.

Then there's the sound of rain, and how it trickles down the buildings and pitter-patters through the streets. We get Southern California rain which is probably the tamest of rain (except in acidity) and it is one of the best kinds. For every day that it has rained here this school year, the next day has been gorgeous, with a bright blue sky and mountains visible on the horizon. It washes out all of the sorrows, worries, and wrongs with the world and leaves you with days whose beauty make you realize the joys of being alive. I love listening to how the rain trips by, knowing what joys it will bring. Maybe that's what makes the sound of water so appealing. It's the sound of fears and worries being washed away. It presents us with a renewing quality. It makes us conscious that greater powers here are at work and reminds us why we're here. It is the sound of water cleansing us from our transgressions as it has been doing for millions of years, and we know that like before things will always turn out alright. The rain. The ocean. What else could be more soothing? Like the quote above says, "Who know what the tide could bring?" What will the tide bring you tomorrow?

As for tonight, I'm going to lull myself to sleep thinking of the ocean....
 

Free DHTML scripts provided by
Dynamic Drive