A Day in the Mind of Chris Burzlaff

The new and improved daily adventures and incomprehensible ramblings of my life.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Big Changes

We’re reaching the end of those dog days of summer where schools are starting up again and vacations are wrapping up. With so many friends and coworkers on vacations, I decided to take a mental vacation of sorts myself and give into the laziness of a dwindling summer. That’s not to say that these past two weeks have not been occupied with their respective activities, as I have found many a way to keep myself preoccupied and at times, overly-occupied. But with several people leaving Bakersfield, the town has grown rather quiet and me with it.

I have been able to make some noise during the past few weeks by focusing on the two key issues I had coming into 2006: new car and new apartment. At the time of my last post I had neither; as of today I both. About a month ago, I had set forth a plan to get a new car by talking with the dealership and picking out a car. The only catch was that I had to wait for the car to be delivered to the dealership since they had none in stock. Around the same time, I got a call from an apartment complex informing me that an apartment was opening up. So I put money down on the apartment, which I wouldn’t be available to move into for another month. Completely unintentional, my two big enterprises of 2006 were to occur during the same week.

This past week was spent in finalizing the details for both ventures, specifically in terms of finance. By the time Thursday rolled around, (I didn’t work this past Friday) I was tired and frustrated with the whole thing. Then I got a call Thursday evening telling me that I could pick up my new car after sorting out some of the financial issues earlier that day. It was a great relief and well worth the wait once I got behind the wheel.

I had spent the previous weekend buying new toys for my (at the time) soon to be apartment and had started to create a large, menacing pile of crap in the front of the house. I wasn’t too concerned about the move since there weren’t too many large items to move and even with a flight of stairs to deal with, everything was doable. But that pile did look menacing and I wondered how long it would take to move everything that had been laid out. Apparently, not that long. Six people (myself and five other girls) were able to move everything in under two hours over the weekend. All of the possible concerns and potential problems (remember, it’s still summer here in Bakersfield) were completely non-existent and you couldn’t have asked for a smoother transition.

I guess I find it rather amusing how fast life moves at times and conversely how slow it moves too. After so many months of thinking about moving out or thinking about buying a new car, who would have thought that I would leave work one Thursday with one life and return with another. I guess I had it coming.
 

Free DHTML scripts provided by
Dynamic Drive