A Day in the Mind of Chris Burzlaff

The new and improved daily adventures and incomprehensible ramblings of my life.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

What’s Listening – Aqualung


Every month I showcase a different artist and album that I’m currently listening to. More than just browsing these artists, I purchase an album from each group in order to give them a fair representation and to increase their availability to others

I’m a little behind on doing this so here it goes. This month’s artist is Aqualung with the new release of Memory Man. I got burnt out on the previous Aqualung album, “Strange and Beautiful,” so I was a little wary upon first hearing songs from the latest one; however, my doubts were quickly put to rest. This album has a much more mature sound than the previous and in particular, the use of the piano here is hauntingly captivating. The diversity of songs has also changed - with soft songs, upbeat songs, songs that start soft but end loud and upbeat, etc. – all showing great patience and uniqueness. There’s something about these songs that’s very enticing. The way I like to describe it to myself is that this is what the future must sound like, because it always makes me think of the emptiness and isolation of space. Maybe it’s because of enjoyable songs like “Pressure Suit” and “Black Hole” that get my mind out in space, and quite possibly my favorite song of the album is “Rolls So Deep”.

More information can be found at http://aqualung.net/audio.php
 

Free DHTML scripts provided by
Dynamic Drive