A Day in the Mind of Chris Burzlaff

The new and improved daily adventures and incomprehensible ramblings of my life.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Chairs

I have been very busy at work the past couple of weeks as we near our annual reliability audit. Aside from the regular audit preparations, I have attended classes, workshops, conferences, meetings and have generally not had enough time to focus on the escalating tasks from each. I came into work on Monday to find out that the one “surprise” audit category they will look at this year is the one I’m most involved with and so began a dreadful week full of extra meetings and long hours of perfecting every tiny error, leading to the sentiment expressed in my last post. After being quite busy the past 3 days, today has finally slowed down enough to where I can start to get back to my previous tasks, of which procrastination is included (hence a post).

There have been several small incidents that I have been wanting to comment about this past week, but hadn’t found the time, nor the effort to do so, until now. Probably the most amusing account from the past couple of weeks involves the new chairs I have in my office. Several of my coworkers had grown weary of standing while stopping by my office and many have suggested that I should get some more chairs in my office. But where do I get extra chairs without stealing them from someone else? A couple weeks ago, I solved my problem by bringing in some chairs that I had inherited when my father brought them home from work after grabbing them from some closing local office branch. His justification was that I could use chairs in my apartment. They’re not great chairs, mind you, but they do have big cushions and are both rather comfortable; however, I have no place to keep these chairs in my new place.

So one Friday I snuck these chairs into my office while most of the office was away. In the following weeks, people began to slowly notice them as they walked by or when they stopped by the office. This past week I have had more company in my office than usual and the first thing out of everybody’s mouths when they enter are, “Cool chairs!” I don’t know if people are more excited about the fact that I now have chairs or the chairs themselves, but it’s made everyone really excited as they enter. I knew that people would be jazzed-up about my new car, but I didn’t expect them to be just as jazzed about some second-hand chairs. Who knew that chair envy was so common here? It’s a good thing they don’t have wheels or else I might never see them again.

I should have plenty of free time tomorrow, as it is Friday, so perhaps then I will get to my intriguing tales from this weekend.
 

Free DHTML scripts provided by
Dynamic Drive