A Day in the Mind of Chris Burzlaff

The new and improved daily adventures and incomprehensible ramblings of my life.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Starting to Believe

Lately I’ve been feeling like a hermit, opting to spend a quiet evening with myself rather than call up a friend to hang out. As a result I’ve been feeling strangely old these past couple of weeks as I spend more time with myself. I guess I’m just starting to accept the fact that I’m indeed an adult out in the real world and no longer a student dependant upon others. What I’m starting to find out is that being an adult is becoming infectious and forcing me more into a hermit’s lifestyle. This past week after work instead of calling friends, I took my car in for maintenance, did laundry and washed dishes, went jogging, and even turned the TV off early one night so I could read and go to bed early. Quick, where are my bifocals and false teeth! It’s not like any of these things are bad, and they’re all important the a healthy lifestyle, but who am I turning into? Where’s the fun? Maybe watching all of those old movies is starting to affect me subliminally.

I guess my point is, I’ve changed a lot as a person since I left college and started working. I’m now managing a household (or currently an apartmenthold), paying bills on a regular basis, keeping a budget, having a mature relationship, etc. In just two years I’ve become a more adult-like, something I never thought possible. But it’s true and I can start to see it in my friends more and more. It seems somewhat odd that college graduations are right around the corner (USC’s is this weekend) and soon students will be back for the summer, and yet nothing is changing for me. There’s no summer break to look forward to, just business as usual. And the funny thing is, I don’t really miss it or expect it anymore. It’s just another sign that I’m starting to believe that I'm actually an adult now.

Oh I can keep it interesting every once and a while and try to relish in the past, but it’s just not the same sometimes. And in case you were wondering, I’m spending my Saturday doing chores and running errands. That is until a special someone arrives….

Happy Anniversary Jessica!
 

Free DHTML scripts provided by
Dynamic Drive