A Day in the Mind of Chris Burzlaff

The new and improved daily adventures and incomprehensible ramblings of my life.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Traditions of Desire

I leave this weekend to go to Patrick’s college graduation in Decorah, Iowa. This marks my third year in a row that I’ve gone to Luther College this particular weekend. Two years ago, just after my own college graduation, I was helping Patrick move out for the summer. Last year, we used his campus as a meeting point before embarking on our European tour. I can’t believe that for the past three years I’ve been to the outskirts of the middle of nowhere, but suddenly it’s become a comfort thing. It’s become tradition embedded in my already tradition-filled life. The only problem with accustoming yourself to trips and travel is that you look forward to and expect them.

Why is this a problem? The first reason is what I’ve already mentioned, in that next year will bring about disappointment when I don’t make a trip out as in years past. This is the much maligned feeling that I have today around President’s Day weekend, when I always used to visit Berkeley. The other problem is that you do expect them and end up eager to always travel. This is a problem that’s not bad worth having, and I have already compensated this year for past year’s European trip. Come the end of August, Jessica and I will be traveling from Paris to Rome.

Some traditions are formed around customs, others around special occasions; mine are born out of desire.
 

Free DHTML scripts provided by
Dynamic Drive