A Day in the Mind of Chris Burzlaff

The new and improved daily adventures and incomprehensible ramblings of my life.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Wedding Post (at last)

After practically wrapping up a very long project yesterday/today, I’ve taken some time to myself here at work to slow things down a bit and be a little less productive than I have the past few weeks. The whole month of July has just been a blur with the weeks just flying by as work has kept me zipping around. I’m not in the clear yet; in fact it might be getting worse these next couple of weeks, but at least I can take some time to myself today.

I feel obligated to at least recap a little bit about the events that transpired starting about 2 weeks ago. My older brother Paul was getting married the last Friday of July, and so after working briefly that Monday and Tuesday, I took the rest of the week off to help work and celebrate the wedding. Part of this included creating a wedding video slideshow that my parents practically assumed that I’d do, off course without giving me any tools or advise (except a scanner, thankfully). They did, however, provide us with stacks of pictures to go through. I elicited the help of Jessica and we got to work churning out two separate videos – a long version and a short version. With some last minute help from Carly we managed to eke out the two videos to show, which I think we pulled off nicely. I heard nothing but compliments on how professional it looked and how nice it was. I think I even heard that “Disney Don” was impressed.

Aside from working furiously on that project, as a groomsman I was required to attend the bachelor event. I say event, because it was a whole, exhausting day of activity. I woke up the same time I normally would for work to meet people for breakfast before playing a round of team golf. Following this we ate lunch, ran around outside for about an hour (don’t ask why), then jumped into the swimming pool because of course it was well over 100 degrees outside. Then we barbecued steaks for dinner before going bar-hopping to about 12:30-1am. As an assistant DD I had a little say in when we stopped the party because I was exhausted after a non-stop 19-hour day.

The wedding went off fabulously and I think the reception was a big hit with people. I believe the DJ was forced to play nothing but oldies and specifically songs from “Back To The Future”. The problem with being involved with a wedding is all the standing and waiting you have to do. It’s not fun standing still for what seems like hours during the whole ceremony and then waiting around afterwards for the wedding couple photos to be finished. The regular guests were lucky in that they at least got food once they got to the reception hall. We were placed in a separate room to wait with no food and we were starving.

When finally the time to enter the reception banquet came, we discovered that food would be served after every member of the wedding party gave a speech, which none of us (aside from the best men) were prepared for. For the sake of food, I kept my speech short and sweet and it seemed that we’d be eating soon, until my dad got a hold of the microphone. Twenty minutes later he finished and they started carting food out. It’s a good thing the wedding party gets served first because I couldn’t take it any longer.

But the wedding was more than food, or standing, or partying, or videos. I was a wonderful time and I wish the best to the new bride and groom. God knows when the next one of these will be…. *cough*Patrick2008*cough*.
 

Free DHTML scripts provided by
Dynamic Drive