A Day in the Mind of Chris Burzlaff

The new and improved daily adventures and incomprehensible ramblings of my life.

Monday, August 30, 2004

Semester Update

For the multitude of you out there who are dying of curiosity about what my semester exactly entails, I've decided to lay out my classes below. Feel free to exact pity upon me at any time...

Class 1: Mechanical Design (3 Units) - I'm actually going to enjoy this class because it continues off of stuff I learned Sophomore year, tackling basic force loads, moment arms, and stability. I have the same teacher who taught me this stuff Sophomore year, which will only make it that much more enjoyable! I'm hoping that amidst the work, this will turn out to be an easy class.

Class 2: Mechanical Engineering Problems (3 Units) - This is a fancy title for a class that's primarily geared towards applying complicated mathematics to computer programs (essentially MATLAB). I have a feeling this class will be difficult, especially since my MATLAB experience is rather limited. At least the professor is reminiscent of Robin Williams in "Good Will Hunting".

Class 3: Linear Control Systems I (3 Units) - The fact that there's a Linear Control Systems II scares me. I've heard this class is hard and I am not ready to find out first hand. I still am uncertain what the class is exactly about, but it does seem to build off of the differential equations I despised in the past. Anyone want to take this class for me?

Class 4: Computer-Aided Design of Mechanical Systems (3 Units) - Another fancy title for what really should say "Design With Solidworks". This class basically teaches how to use the design program Solidworks to build stuff. What this means is another easy class where I can possibly make another dancing man (and erase another important file).

Class 5: Engineering Economy (3 Units) - Yes, I'm taking an Econ course cleverly disguised as an Engineering course. This class will be annoying, but easy. I guess the ease of economics causes me to get annoyed easily by the tediousness of the lectures and discussion sections. Yes, I do know what a fixed cost and a variable cost are, so lets not spend a half-hour on it....

Class 6: Experimental Engineering (3 Units) - This is my Senior design project course where I have to design, build and test some system or part. This is what will take up all of my time this semester and hopefully I can get through it without killing myself. For some reason the words, "Senior Design Project" strike me with great fear.

Class 7: Concert Choir (1 Unit) - Once again I have managed to fit choir into my schedule to help me keep my sanity. It's going to be an interesting semester because most of the choir is new (again) including the conductor. So we'll see how things go.

In case you've been keeping track, yes I am taking 7 classes this semester (6 of them Engineering) and 19 Units. The units are sort of deceptive because they change the weight of them for engineers so we can take more classes. In essence, it's like taking 25 Units, but who's really counting? So it is going to be an interesting semester, but hopefully I will not only live through it, but also have some fun along the way. As for now though, I should probably get some work done. I'm still generating some top 10 lists to add so those will probably come next. Until then.... Vaya con Dios!
 

Free DHTML scripts provided by
Dynamic Drive