A Day in the Mind of Chris Burzlaff

The new and improved daily adventures and incomprehensible ramblings of my life.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Russian Roulette

I almost got rear-ended twice yesterday. My car has been in the shop to fix the leaking oil and hopefully the rattling that has been occurring as of late, so I have been driving my dad’s car to work. In all the times of driving my car, nothing like this has ever happened, so I don’t know if it was by coincidence or if my dad’s car has something wrong with it. Both times, on the way to work and coming back home from work, I had to practically stop on the freeway because the car in front of me had to make a turn. And in both instances, a white truck didn’t notice me braking and had to swerve to avoid collision. All I could do for both was to sit and watch in horror as these trucks rapidly approached me. Fortunately, there were no collisions and I made it home safe.

A similar instance happened over a week ago as I was going to the mall with my mom. Someone from the other direction stupidly started to make a left-turn across our lanes of traffic with numerous cars around. We couldn’t see them and they didn’t see us until it was almost too late. Fortunately, the brakes are still relatively new on my mom’s van and we missed the car bay about a foot, but I dreaded looking behind us for fear of being rear-ended. However, we were fortunate enough that no one was close behind and we avoided all collisions. I don’t know what it is recently, if it’s just people or maybe a sign from above, but I keep remembering the safety discussion we had two weeks ago about how working in unsafe conditions is a lot like Russian Roulette.

I feel like I’ve just heard three clicks….
 

Free DHTML scripts provided by
Dynamic Drive