A Day in the Mind of Chris Burzlaff

The new and improved daily adventures and incomprehensible ramblings of my life.

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

And Now For A Serious Moment...

Hello, my name is Chris Burzlaff and I have a problem.

That's right you've heard it here first folks, I have some serious issues going on. Issues that the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York claims, "...can lead to feelings of guilt, inadequacy, depression and self-doubt among students." Yes, I suffer from Procrastination.

Apparently, what I've always considered as "working well under pressure" turns out to be a serious problem leading me down a steady spiral towards the bottom rung of society. The outcome of my procrastinating may impede my success on both the academic level and in the business realm. I may soon never achieve any more personal successes because of these tendencies! Fortunately I was blessed with the random insight of the harmful effects of procrastination and surfed the web for more on the subject.

According to the various websites I've contacted on the subject, there are several reasons that students like myself procrastinate. These reasons include: Poor Time Management, Difficulty Concentrating, Fear and Anxiety, Negative Beliefs, Finding the Task Boring, Unrealistic Expectations and Perfectionism. All of these can be found at the University at Buffalo's Student Counseling Webpage. I'd like to state that some of these reasons are not reliant upon students so much as they are on teachers. Poor Time Management and Unrealistic Expectations can sometimes be traced back to the person presenting the task, which usually is done out of careless regard of the students other conflicts. I'm not going to start a paper that's due in a week when I have another due in three days. Sometimes teachers and employers expect too much from us and we end up procrastinating on assignments by force rather than out of habit. I would, however, like to say that Finding the Task Boring is a clever excuse for putting off work, though I don't think many teachers would be impressed by the candor of the statement.

So if we do it, for whatever the reason, how can we prevent a recurrence of this behavior? The University at Buffalo suggests more discipline and regime in your lifestyle to overcome your anxieties of work and achieve reasonably set goals for yourself. Unfortunately, this does nothing for the "quick-fix, one-hour photo, instant oatmeal society..." we live in. (The Simpson's Episode #1F05: Bart's Inner Child). For these types there are several means of curing yourself, without having to interact with the society you try to avoid in the first place with your procrastination. For just $50 you can join the End Procrastination Now family! Or for you skeptics, learn how to cure yourself through hypnosis! Remember, you DO have a problem and now you can fix it and raise your morale!

Isn't it ironic that looking at websites to prevent me from procrastinating have in fact aided in my effort to indeed procrastinate from my classwork. You know what this means? I am more powerful than the internet! I have found its fallacies and have conquered over it!

Alright, my sarcasm detector is going off the charts so I better leave it be and perhaps change my ways for the better........... tomorrow.


(Note: When doing proper research it is important to select websites of a high academic and prestigious quality to ensure the same quality in the report. Since this is not an academic report, I can hardly see the harm in choosing websites with hardly any credulous material.)
 

Free DHTML scripts provided by
Dynamic Drive