A Day in the Mind of Chris Burzlaff

The new and improved daily adventures and incomprehensible ramblings of my life.

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Top Tens

I'm back from a rather enjoyable weekend at the coast where I spent my time on the beach, going wine tasting, and spending quality time with the family. Now I'd like to change it up a bit and throw on some top ten lists I made up at work over the summer. The whole idea behind this is to reveal some lesser known facts about myself, share some likes and dislikes, and allow people to get to know me a little bit better. Besides, it kills time.

So to kick off the top ten lists I have my "10 Most Danceable Swing Songs". Since I'm a big swing dancer, I decided to compile a list of the top songs I wouldn't pass up to dance during. The resulting list are those songs I love to dance to:

10. Indigo Swing - Regular Joe
One of the few Indigo Swing song that hasn't driven me crazy over the years. Probably what makes this song more enjoyable has been seeing it performed live by the Bill Elliott Swing Orchestra, and when they do anything it's gold!

9. Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Who would have thought that swing dancing to Queen would work so well? Not only is it a good song, but it's got the perfect groove to dance to with several well-timed stops for those well-placed hits.

8. The Stray Cats - Stray Cat Strut
Good song for all us stray cats to strut our stuff to. So many of my friends like this song which makes it very easy to get out on the dance floor and dance to it.

7. Glenn Miller - I've Got A Gal In Kalamazoo
Not only is it a song about Kalamazoo, which for the record is an awesome name for a town, but they go as far as to spell it out during the song, twice. There's just nothing like a little geography and spelling lesson while dancing.

6. Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl
Do you remember when we used to sing sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-ti-da? This is just another fun song out there that most people wouldn't associate with swing dancing, but is such a fun song to dance to. As long as they keep on doubting, we'll keep on proving them wrong.

5. Frank Sinatra - Fly My to the Moon
The best of the Frank songs to dance to. The fact that it is a Frank Sinatra song places it in the upper tier and because it's very danceable, it earns a top 10 ranking. It's difficult to explain why it's so great to dance to, but believe me when I say it is.

4. The Monkees - I'm a Believer
I had a really good dance to this song just last week, which probably helped its stock, but it's one of those overall fun songs to dance to. Plus it's got lots of stops to perfectly time that quick-stop to.

3. Louis Jordan - Is You Is Or Is You Ain't (My Baby?)
This is Natalie's and my song, which elevates it to number three. We've been dancing to it since the beginning, and we'll keep dancing to it til the end.

2. Bobby Darin - Beyond the Sea
This is a close second but in reality it's really 1b. No matter how many times I hear this song, or whatever version it is, I still love to get out and dance to it. Don't know what it is about this song, but I just love it!

1. Van Morrison - Moondance
The best of the best, this song is four and a half minutes of bliss. Those who know me won't be surprised by this pick. It's got a nice groove, a great jazzy feel, with good syncopation, which allows for more style points. I love everything about this song, from the music, to the lyrics, to the vocals. Just wonderful! Can I just have one more moondance with you, my love?

That's all for today's list, check in tomorrow for another list.

 

Free DHTML scripts provided by
Dynamic Drive